Thursday, 19 May 2016

Birchbox Review: Tester...

Subscription boxes have become quite popular in the last few years, if you don't know what they are they are basically boxes containing items that are delivered to your door. And you don't necessarily know what these items are going to be. The first one I had ever heard about was the Graze box, containing a few different surprise snacks, sweet and savoury and to this day we still get that delivered to our door every month. You can also go on the website and review the snacks, so then they will know which ones you don't like and which ones you love. I quite like the element of surprise within these boxes as well as getting a package through the door each month (who doesn't like that?) so I decided to look into them and decided to try one out.

How to decide which subscription box to try?

It is all about personal preference really. Make up and beauty was the first choice for me, as I wear make up on a daily basis but not that much, I normally just focus on the eyes and wear a bit of blusher, at least with the box I could experiment a bit more with different make up brands that I would never think of buying myself and I think I would find it more fun and unleash a bit more of a girly side to myself. I was going to try a book or a geek box, but I have got enough books to read and with the geek box I always see a few items associated with brands I am not a fan of or have no clue about. So make up and beauty products it is.
There are quite a few make up subscription boxes around but after looking at a few past unboxing videos on YouTube, I decided to go with Birchbox as their samples seemed the value for money and it just looked a good, quality subscription service.


The theme for Birchbox this month was "Dreaming," the box itself is really pretty, quite probably the best looking Birchbox I have actually seen. The only downside I had with it was the fact it was covered with a scratch coating and it took me a little while to scratch it all off! But you had to scratch it all off to see if you won a holiday (and no, I didn't but I got a very pretty box as you can see from the photos!) The samples were hidden in a cloth bag and I couldn't wait to see what I had got...





Jelly Pong Pong Glow Getter Highlighter (RRP £8.95)
This was a first time subscriber present. I found the code on the Birchbox website itself and put it in the promo code part to claim it. It looks really pretty in a little pink box with a bicycle on it and the gel itself looks a really nice creamy colour which is great so hopefully it will make my skin look more radiant, and it is 80% water based which means I don't have to worry so much about it making my skin worse. I'm really looking forward to trying this out as I don't really use highlighters or skin products.

Spectrum Unicorn Tears Wonder Sponge (RRP £4.99)
I was really pleased to know I would definitely be getting a Spectrum Wonder Sponge, I had heard of the brand before and heard good things. I wanted one but just couldn't justify to myself why I would spend £5 on a sponge so I was really happy to see it definitely included in this box. You could choose what colour you wanted before the box was shipped out so I chose lilac. Very satisfied with this product and I can use it with my highlighter!







TheBalm cosmetics Stainiac Beauty Queen (RRP £10)
My first reaction to this product was "wow this is bright!" But then I tested it on my cheeks and it is actually a really nice colour, blending it in definitely makes a more natural look. Luckily this does have a longer setting time so you can blend it in more and it definitely gives me a bit more colour, especially when I am looking pale which is mostly all the time, except when I go on holiday!

Philip Kingsley Prep Polishing Balm (RRP £18.50)
I want to take more attention and care in my hair to make sure it looks and feels the best it can look and feel. I just want to keep my hair in good condition and it is especially more important now I have coloured my hair. This balm is perfect for that, it nourishes the hair and makes hair look glossy and conditioned, as well as containing vitamins to keep your hair in good condition too. Plus it smells really good as well, and I also think that is important as well.

Vasanti Brighten up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator (RRP £26)
A 99% natural product, this makes your complexion look better when you apply it a few times a week. A lot of the time, I can and do look tired even when I'm actually not so I am hoping this product will brighten up my face a bit and make me look more awake!

Kueshi Foot Care Cream (RRP £12)
A foot cream, which can be useful. I don't think I have the worse feet in the world for dryness but they can get dry so I am definitely going to use this and I may even buy the full size product if I find the results good. I don't really do anything to my feet but I have a feeling that this product may change that if the results are good. I'll see what happens.


Sarah Chapman Skinesis Spot SOS Stickers (RRP £22.50)
This was a little added extra to my beauty box, but I got three spot stickers. Just as well as I have a spot right near my lips at the moment that I want gone, so I am trying out this product tonight and seeing the results in the morning! A nice little sample to complete my box really, and one that I will definitely use when those spot break outs occur!

Ok, so the results weren't great... they just made the spots more red and I saw no difference!


I was really satisfied with this subscription box, the products in my box definitely suit me and the type of person I am. I will definitely be using all these products. The product I was most happy with was the Spectrum sponge as I always wanted one of those and was so happy to see that in there. The product I think I will use the least will have to be the Stainiac Beauty Queen as I don't normally use such bright colours and I have a feeling that the appearance of the product will put me off using it on occasions. Overall I was really happy with my products, so much that I am keeping subscribed and would definitely rate this box a 10/10. Solid start Birchbox!

Hope you enjoyed this review!

So yeah, it's all good...

Amy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment