Hi. I hope you are having a great day.
In today's post, I wanted to talk about my tips and tricks on how to improve your WFH space and experience of WFH, especially in the winter months where it is getting colder and darker earlier.
Here is my WFH space, I've been working from home for around 9 months now and I have no plans to return to the office as yet. This was taken a few weeks ago, I have had to edit out some details on the screens and underneath my screens due to the confidential nature of my job. And the blanket is actually covering my office chair... but this is my WFH space where I spend a good majority of my time! I really like how I have made this little office space, it feels very cosy and comfortable... Which was the main vibe I wanted for a WFH space. It was the only realistic space for a mini office and it works really well.Although I have kept the same set up since I moved all the electrical equipment in, I think it is important to change little things around every so often to keep things tidy and to also keep yourself motivated.
Invest in plenty of cuddly jumpers and blankets.
I am one of those people who doesn't turn on the heating when I am home alone for many hours for each day. I just think I don't need the heating on every day to stay warm! I will happily bundle up on more layers to keep warm, and it feels more cosy too so I would rather do that! I also have a massive teddy bear blanket on the back of my chair which has been there for the past nine months... it makes the black office chair look a bit nicer and is very helpful for throwing over my shoulders when I am a bit cold!
Improve your lighting.
Being on computer screens for most days can do damage to your eyes if you don't have great surrounding lighting. Quite honestly, the lighting where I am currently working is awful. It wasn't so bad in the summer where the natural sunlight came through the the window, but now it's more naturally grey and darker, the one light in the room isn't strong enough or close enough to me to really make an impact on the lighting around the screens. It sometimes feels like I am in darkness!
Therefore extra lighting is an essential. I prefer using lights which you can plug in rather than battery operated lights because I am awful with changing the batteries. However I do have a few battery operated lights elsewhere in the house so it's not like I don't use them! My fairy scrabble lights from my lockdown purchases post have made an amazing addition to my "Home Orfice" space. I managed to hang them up across the wooden ledge next to where I work and it looks amazing. It also came with reusable stickers so I can also change what it says... it currently it says "HOME ORFICE" as it is very appropriate for my WFH space and there was only one "F" in the sticker pack (hence why office is spelt incorrectly) Once plugged in, it makes the whole space look that little more brighter especially with the LED lights.
The next purchase I made for improving the lighting was a Himalayan salt lamp. I've wanted one of these for a while but couldn't really justify how to use it. Therefore this was a perfect excuse! It cost me £25, weighs 4-5kg... but it was worth it. It is constantly on my desk and I use this lamp every day when working as it provides another source of light to brighten the room. There is also an adjustable brightness toggle, which is a great feature. Plus it looks fantastic and it gives the office space some more warm tones... which is great for the cold, winters days!
Keep the snacks elsewhere.
This is a big tip in general for WFH, keep all food and snacks in a different place from your working space. I learnt this the hard way! I was working one afternoon with a tube of pringles next to me... by the end of the day, I was left with the empty tube with a few crumbs of Salt and Vinegar left! This has only happened once, and the phrase of "out of sight, out of mind" really applies here. In the summer, I used to have a full punnet of strawberries or raspberries for the hot summer afternoons, and they were a great choice of snack. The ice cream van was a big weakness in the summer... it always pulled up along the side of the road same time most days and you'd hear the tinkly ice cream tune.. Most times I managed to resist but on a couple of the really hot days, it had to be done! Now, all I want to eat is crisps and chocolate for snacks in the winter! I would suggest keeping food in the kitchen if you are working from home, and if you want to eat in your WFH space, limit your portion in the kitchen first before taking it with you to your space. Unless you want to eat a whole tube of Pringles spontaneously one day, then go for it... I'm really not judging! (although I probably wouldn't recommend it on a daily basis!)
Keep things minimal at your desk area.
Probably the one I am worst at. I don't know how but my desk area gets incredibly messy at times.. especially now in the winter months where I have random Christmas presents pretty much everywhere as well as my own stuff! Looking at the photo of my desk a few weeks ago, I can already spot a few things that really don't need to be on my desk!
But it is good to keep the space as tidy and clean as possible. Clear your desk and think what you really use on a day-to-day basis. I always need a pen and planner to determine what I need to do each day, or to jot down notes from various calls. I got a planner from a Papergang subscription box and I love it. I always need a coaster for my drink, therefore a log slice does the job perfectly, and it blends well with the wooden desk. I got this trinket tray in the shape of a speech bubble with "hello" printed on it for Christmas last year which is perfect for holding the random little things, such as tissues and hand cream. I love using the Cath Kidston hand creams, they always smell so fresh and lovely therefore these are a must. I keep some wipes to wipe down the surface areas surrounding the screens as they can get dusty at times! Currently I also have a couple of Christmas cards on my desk which have arrived in the post so they are also essentials for my desk space. Realistically I don't need anything else other than those things but that doesn't always happen!
Plan exciting things to do within your breaks.
Working from home is definitely more flexible than being in the office. I tend to work longer hours now but have more mini breaks each lasting for around 10 minutes I would say, and I always leave the room I am working from to have these breaks. I've learnt I am more productive in the mornings so I only really have one mini break in the mornings. The afternoons are more tough for me to keep focused so I'll have a few more then if I can! In my breaks I'll either talk or message my family and work friends (either really help me get through the days). Occasionally I will have a quick check on Animal Crossing if I haven't had a chance to check on it during the day. In the winter months, I'll wrap up the odd Christmas present or two. These ten minute breaks don't always happen, especially when I'm more busy but it is good to have regular breaks away from work!
Make lunch plans
God I can't stress this one enough. This might not be for everyone, but I love making plans to get out of the house nearly every single working from home day. Even if it is raining, windy, grey clouds... I will leave the house at some point! Getting outside really does make a huge difference. However I am aware and know this one isn't for everyone, I know many people love spending their lunches inside with the TV on and in the warm... and I have done that as well!
On a typical day and if no one is free, I will spend the lunch with myself. I'll get out of the house, walk along to the woodland areas and see the ducks. If others are free, I'll go to my parents for a walk around the village, I'll see my grandparents and go to whatever area they want to explore next or I'll go and see them in the garden (depending on what the restrictions allow). I'll see my work team for food outside and a walk around the city which has become a Thursday thing. And finally, I will try and see another work friend for a walk and chats, but that's dependent if either of us have a day off as we live a reasonable distance away from each other. Very occasionally I will see other friends but that does depend on if they are around or free but usually the above keeps me busy and happy enough throughout a standard working week!
They are such little plans with hardly any organisation needed but sometimes they are the best type of plans. I've definitely learnt that it's not necessarily how extravagant your plans are which determines how great a meet up is, it is definitely the company itself and seeing family and friends is what means the most to me.
These are just a few things that have really helped me with working from home, however I am sure there are more things that other people have found which helps them.. Just because something works for me, it doesn't have to work for you too! It's all about finding what works for you and embracing it.
Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
So yeah, it's all good...
Amy











No comments:
Post a Comment