Hi. I hope you are well and having a good day.
Today I wanted to write about this day two years ago, which was a life-changing day for me. It was the 9th May 2024. I had been waiting for this day several months previous to the day actually arriving. There had been a lot of challenges, stress, tears and last minute sorting to get to this day two years ago, but looking back now, it was all worth it.What was so life changing about the 9th May 2024? This was the day that my house purchase went through, and I became a solo home owner! I have had my house for two years today, and have lived here full time for almost a year now. Which is absolutely crazy to think!
This was also the day that my previous house sale went through, which I had shared with my ex. Two years ago, I really struggled with letting go of my envisioned future of buying a house with a partner, and living with a partner. I felt very unsettled and nervous about the path I had chosen, of choosing to live a life by myself and I was very uncertain and worried about my future.
Despite all of those uncomfortable and emotional feelings at the time, my gut intuition knew it was the right thing for me. Things happen for a reason, I wasn't happy in my previous relationship and knew things wouldn't work between us, which had led to this difficult decision. From the way things transpired, it meant that everything was concluded on the 9th May 2024. This date represented the end of my old life, the life as I had known it, and the start of a new one.
My life changed so much after the 9th May 2024. I remember getting the call about the house sale going through, where I wept with tears of mixed emotion... tears of sadness, and tears of happiness. Around half an hour later, I got another call from my estate agents saying that my house purchase had gone through, and I could collect the keys. An hour later, I was stood inside my house, which was an absolute wreck at the time and was wondering what on earth I was doing and how on earth this house was going to get transformed into a home!
In the space of less than 24 hours, I had gone from owning a pretty modern house with an ex, to owning a wreck of a house by myself, which resembled a building. It was an absolutely crazy and surreal time. That evening of the 9th May 2024, I was at my parents having a mini bottle of prosecco, and I honestly just felt an overwhelming sense of pure relief. There had been so much build up, so many challenges to get to this day in the several months prior and I felt so relieved I had finally got to this point where everything had gone through. I felt a massive sense of freedom in a way, it did feel like my life was on hold until the 9th May 2024. I was still incredibly nervous for my future at that point, nervous to start a full house renovation and to eventually live by myself, however I also started to feel a sense of excitement!
Throughout that first year, I spent pretty much all my free time renovating. We did so much to the house, new radiators, new boiler, new electrics, new kitchen, new bathroom, several hours of plastering and painting... My dad and I absolutely loved getting stuck into the renovation. Pretty much all of my money was going on the renovation costs, luckily I managed to save quite a bit with me and my dad doing a lot of the work, getting free and discounted things where possible (all my radiators were free, and the boiler was heavily discounted) and we both really enjoyed it! The renovation was completed in February 2025, when the carpets were fitted. I moved in from then, although I was doing a lot of back and forwards from my parents as I didn't have a lot here to live permanently, and I finally moved in full time in June 2025.
I will be making another blog post about my first year of living by myself, but it's honestly one of the best things I have ever experienced. Overall, I am really happy with where I am at right now. From living alone, I have gotten to know myself more as a person, without having that influence of living with anyone else. It can be lonely and isolating at times, however the positives of living alone really do outweigh the negatives. I really enjoy my own time and my
This day last year, I went to HMV and I treated myself a decent record player. I love collecting and playing vinyls of my favourite albums and I wanted to properly upgrade my previous record player, which was very cheap and not the best quality! The record player was a present to myself for all the hard work of getting to that stage of completing my house renovation!
This year, I finally printed off the photo of me standing outside my house from this day two years ago, which I am planning to put in a frame in my living room. Looking at those photos of me standing outside, I can remember how emotional and nervous I was. I was in floods of tears and my mum was telling me to stop crying and smile for a photo! I only wish I could go back in time to this day two years ago and tell myself that everything will be ok and everything will work out!
A lot can change within a few years, and any change may feel uncomfortable and scary at first, however it can also lead to amazing things in the future. The 9th May 2024 is a date which proved that for me, and it's been a fantastic couple of years with being a solo home owner!
So yeah, it's all good...
Amy

No comments:
Post a Comment