Thursday, 9 March 2017

Apprenticeship Week...

As it is just over 5 months ago since I started my apprenticeship, I thought I would give an update of how I am getting on as it was apprenticeship week last week!

Before I get into anything about the actual apprenticeship, I just wanted to say that it doesn't feel like 5 months ago since I started my apprenticeship, it feels like I have been there longer. I do my apprenticeship with BPP, who are a bit rubbish. This is what makes the apprenticeship rubbish in a way. We (there is around 10 of us apprentices, but we are in different departments) have spent many times trying to contact BPP with questions and never hearing anything back. Until I had enough one day, I didn't have much work to do so I wrote a massive email complaining, copying in everyone I had heard of at BPP. And they did respond to that one, all a bit salty replies and I was like "thank god maybe some things will be sorted out now." They are rubbish, but at least we are getting somewhere now, like at the beginning of the apprenticeship, we were told the apprenticeship was just 2 exams but on the plan it said about coursework which we were trying to find out if we actually had to do it for at least a month.

After my email we were finally told we had to do coursework books, who our assessor was and monthly reviews we never knew about were sorted out. Organisational skills have been absolutely rubbish for it, not gonna lie as all of us thinks so including managers. Organisational skills has caused the apprenticeship to be extended for two more months.

The only good thing is the exam part of things, we had live online lectures with a man called Steve every other Monday and he was great. That was for IF1, the first exam. We have just started IF2 lectures now every other Tuesday with a man called Kevin and it isn't quite the same, he is very boring and drones on quite a bit, I literally felt like I had been in a daze for 3 hours. Thats the other thing, the lectures are for 3 hours at a time with only a couple of breaks which can be tough going. Exam stuff is going fine though other than that, I prefer just learning it by myself though. We do have a little apprentice group consisting of 4 of us, so we revise together when we can.

Coursework on the other hand. It is so dull and pointless. It isn't the best thing to ever do, the questions are weird. I honestly don't think being an apprentice is the best thing in the world, the way the course is structured is a bit rubbish but I am so glad I am doing it as I'm enjoying my time at my new job. The work side is definitely better in my opinion. I work in a chilled environment, my team are quite chilled which I like as I can do things at my own pace and I have a high work ethic anyway so the chilledness suits me quite well. I'm sure I won't be so chilled as time goes on and I get more work to do!

The work side of things is the best part.. typical day is that I get given pieces of work to do by my manager or the man who I will mainly work with. I do the tasks set and let them know when I have finished so they can be checked. Every piece of work everyone does has to be checked. I did a piece of work this week and apparently it was very good. Which is great to hear. If I don't have any work on or no one gives me anything (sometimes people do struggle to give me stuff as I am still learning and some stuff is too technical for me) then I will either revise for my exam (now I only have IF2 to go) or I will do parts of whatever coursework book I am currently working on.
Luckily the people who I work with are great. They are quite a bit older than me, but I get on with them pretty well I think!

I've also had the opportunity to go to the London office quite a few times in my time as an apprentice which I know not many apprentices get to do! I've only been an apprentice for 5 months but I have already had a week away in London for an Energy Insurance diploma which was a good but tiring week! I went to London on Tuesday but unfortunately it was be a 6am train journey and I was by myself.. great! And I did get slightly lost even when my manager had been through directions with me on Google maps.. but she still thinks I did well to get to where I get to as the office was right round the corner!

I don't know whether this is something I want to do for the rest of my life (I think many people are unsure about that) but for now I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I feel more happier in myself and more relaxed too. Sometimes I have the feeling of "why am I here? I know nothing" but I just try to ignore those kind of thoughts and get through it. It is a tough job to learn.. going in with literally no knowledge about energy insurance which is one of the most complicated types. Everyone has those self doubts and the main thing is that I am happy. Plus it is kind of interesting, I find the Energy side of things really interesting and it is great to actually have the experience to learn all about it as I find it fascinating!

Basically the apprenticeship side of things is rubbish for me but the work side is good!

So yeah, it's all good...

Amy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment