Sunday, 5 January 2014

The annoying working weekend...

Welcome! Just to warn you... This includes some ranting...

So yeah, I had a busy-ish working weekend (Sunday wasn't busy. Saturday was ish). I'd just had 3 days off, which was heaven... I hadn't been in work since last year... so I wanted to make a lovely impression at work to start the new year.

That didn't work out well. I had no runner and we were slightly busy and a lot of customers were getting stressed (I have no idea why?!?) and this impacted all of us at work and made us feel slightly stressed too. I also hated where I was... the middle till. The scary middle till. Where all the stress was. So that was the gist of saturday... I'm going to start from the beginning with my unfortunate tale...

I went in, went on a till where the manager said I could go and served a few people. Then I had my break and went back and another girl was on my till. This was not good news as that was my till and I'd put orders through, so then I got put on the "lovely" middle till and had to count that out, so I counted out 2 tills that day. Not a good start. But there's worse... I nearly got the sack. Before I nearly did get the sack, I had just booked my days off with the main manager. I was carrying out an order, minding my own buisness, collecting food and sauces after putting through a card payment.... Then it happened. The card machine somehow fell off the counter onto the floor. I think I must have knocked it or something while getting the food, I didn't even see it slip off as I had my back turned to grab food. Then I heard this "smash" and turned around to find my card machine we only got 3 weeks ago, slightly broken on the floor. It had to happen to me though. One of the managers saw and tried to fix it and then was like "I can't do this"... so I also had the stress of the broken card machine on me that day. As a result, I messed up quite a few peoples orders, which is not good. If my main manager had found out it was me who broke it, I would have been sacked, no question. Also, my till was down by £1.20 (not massive, but at least it weren't a fiver like Tuesday).

Saturday did eventually get slightly better. I was on a cleaning close... my first one ever! Exciting stuff, I'd heard about them... been put down to work them, but always getting sent home early. I actually wished to get sent home early again after my horrible day, but no, they kept me on. My till was counted, then we had drinks, then the cleaning began... It weren't as bad as I expected. Luckily, the managers knew it was my first close, but it was fun! Music was blaring out and I cleaned both of the giant metal refrigerator doors and the ice machine, dazzled the work surfaces, swept up some rubbish and  put it round the back. Saturday was the longest shift I've ever had, 11-18.45.

And now to Sunday (today). I had a runner (Yay!)... but we were quiet. Yes, quiet.... very quiet. However, I have no idea how, I did make quite a bit of money today. I think one of the most funniest moments today was when my runner ran round to carry a blind womans tray. The woman grabbed her arm and stroked it. It was hilarious! Also, card machine was fixed (Yay!) so at least I didn't have to worry about that anymore. I had a woman come up to me and said "I've found a handbag and handed it in to reception downstairs". Around an hour later, I had another woman come up to me and say "I've left my bag around here somewhere, has anyone handed it in?" So I was part of the reconciliation, haha!

And the bad part of today. I was slightly deaf. No idea why as I'm cold-free at the moment, but still. This was not good in some situations. Some situations were fine. Like when this guy at work was saying something about the Canary store, I thought he said the fairy store. So I was like "What are you talking about, a fairy store?" which was quite funny. I accidentally mistaked someone who ordered a coffee for a coke, but thats ok, easily switchable. There was one situation today that bugged me though... and the slightly deaf part of me didn't help either.

So, I was serving this woman some food and she had 2 children, (who were just below the counter as they were quite short), beside her. I though, okay, they are her children as they came up at the same time as her. So I got the food and then she went and I served another person. Then I had this angry woman come up to me and our conversation went like this:

Woman: Excuse me, but my children have been waiting 20 minutes and you've just ignored them. (I couldn't even see them as they were so short. Plus, they hadn't been waiting for 20 minutes. It was more like 5-10 minutes and I was serving other customers as we had started to get slightly busy)
Me: Oh, I'm sorry I didn't see them there. How can I help?
Woman: Yeah, well can I have some milk please? (Voice starts to get quieter at the end of the question)
Me: Yogurt? (I have no idea why I thought she said this. I mean, we don't even do yogurt)
Woman: (Takes a deep breath and talks a little louder) Milk.

So yeah, thats when the slightly deaf part of me doesn't help in social situations. On the positive side of things, I saw my mum's friend and served Emma today. I also went home an hour early as we had a very small yet mighty power surge (It only lasted for around a second), which made us have no gas, therefore no food. We actually had to tell people we had no food, which was slightly weird. We even started to get busy after the power surge, which meant the manager had to make a big announcement about there being no food, however, we could still serve drinks. All the restaurants had no gas, so none of them were actually serving any food.

Luckily, I have the day off tomorrow which I'm grateful for. I can do some last minute work and chill and sleep and forget about this annoying weekend...

So yeah, its all good...

A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment